August 9, 2008

G-reader Blues

Update: I've gone back to reading blogs, just in a more limited way. And, as a side note... someone else feels the same way.

I'd invested a fair amount of time into my responsibilities for that day. I deserved a break...right? So I reach for the computer, sign into my email, and open my Google Reader. As I read the entries, I pause to read others' comments. While I'm at it, why not check out some of the links on the blog's sidebar? Before I know it, I've wasted 20 minutes in the black hole that is the blogosphere.

Sadly, this isn't just one isolated example. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it happens often. And those minutes add up.

Today, while following the link trail, I stumbled across a post about what not wasting your life looks like. It made me think- am I wasting my life? I hope not. Self-justification inevitably started to kick in. I'm devoting so much of my time to speech, debate, and my studies! I'm preparing myself for adulthood! But I realized that I could still make better use of my life today. I resolved not to waste my life.

Fast forward a few hours. I was again on the computer, reading some of my favorite blogs. This has got to stop, I thought. So I started work on this week's school. One of my assignments, in Money Matters for Teens, was about giving back to God. Somehow, every time the word money was mentioned, my brain substituted the word time. A commitment in the book read:

Dear Lord,
Thank you for providing me with an average income of $__ per __. By signing this note, I 'm acknowledging that I'm not the owner of this money; You are. You've appointed me manager of this money and all the other things you have given to me.
I'm grateful to you for my position. To acknowledge that it's your money, and to thank you for the opportunity to manage it, I'm committed to return __ percent to you on a regular basis for __ months.

This became a strong statement about time management- it's not really my time to waste. Slowly an idea formed in my brain. I finished the rest of the chapter, and again opened my G-reader. I canceled all my 19 subscriptions, except for my Bible verse of the day. If I do check my Reader, all I'll see is something worth spending time on.

* * *

Don't take this the wrong way. I love blogs. I appreciate how they encourage, entertain, and inform me. But I decided it was time to take a fast from my Google Reader.

I'm not going to waste my life.

"And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell."
- Mark 9:47

2 comments:

Kay said...

very insightful. not only did i enjoyed reading it, but it also made me think and evaluate myself. thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm stunned. I'm dazed! You go girl!
God will honor your choices to please Him in His way. I pray that God will multiply your time (in what you are able to accomplish) by this step of obedience to what you sense God calling you to.