November 24, 2008

Who Am I?: Thoughts from Scripture

I came across this passage a few days ago. It totally blew me away.
Daniel 9: 20-23
While I was speaking and praying, confessing my sin and the sin of my people Isreael, and presenting my plea before the LORD my God for the holy hill of my God, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the first, came to me in swift flight at the time of the evening sacrifice. He made me understand, speaking with me and saying, "O Daniel, I have now come out to give you insight and understanding. At the beginning of your pleas for mercy a word went out, and I have come to tell it to you, for you are greatly loved. Therefore consider the word and understand the vision.

At the beginning of your pleas a word went out. You are greatly loved. Isn't that amazing? Daniel enjoyed such a close relationship with God that He was always by Daniel's side.

But keep reading:
Daniel 10: 10-11
And behold, a hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. And he said to me, "O Daniel, man greatly loved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for now I have been sent to you." And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling.

"Man greatly loved" is almost Daniel's name, his definition. It describes the most important part about him.

So maybe A. W. Tozer was right. What we believe about God is the most important thing about us. That still doesn't answer my questions about the mystery of humanity: how we're all created in the image of God, but we are all different, but it doesn't seem to matter any more.

Check back tomorrow for the conclusion.

0 comments: