January 24, 2009

"Reclaiming culture through Christlike communication"

Hello! I returned from MASTERS yesterday, taking with me so much excitement and inspiration from the amazing forums, speakers, and workshops. I'm hoping to share some of this with you in the near future, so for now, here are my thoughts on the vision of CFC as it relates to Phase III of the Young Speakers Guild Training Series, which was unveiled at this conference.

Reading through Phase III is awe-inspiring. By the time I'm done with all the assignments, who will I be? I will have spoken of countless platforms, shared my faith, conversed about current events, thoughtfully and prayerfully prepared a presentation that could deeply influence my community, and inspired my fellow chapter members.

I've heard that speech and debate skills prepare us to do "the real thing" when we are older. Well, this is the real thing. Phase III contains all the components to help us get used to communicating like Christ.

The vision is so huge. YSG has the capacity to mobilize talented speakers, cultivate excellence, and draw its participants closer to God. It's not just a tool to qualify students for internship with CFC or to help us practice speaking. It qualifies us for living life now.

We become able to speak to and inspire others. It is so beautifully consistent with the whole vision of the Institute for Cultural Communicators (the parent organization that CFC belongs to) - it encourages us to truly communicate with the culture, to build ties to local organizations, to become a sought-after young speaker. We work inside our sphere of influence, using our speaking skills to act almost as missionaries. Right now, becoming an intern with CFC is a measure of being a skilled communicator. With YSG, I imagine it as if there will be hundreds of intern-worthy youth in America, together striving to advance the kingdom. It is epic.

Now, the task is to share this vision with our chapters. Then, across the nation, across the world, we can share Christ and reclaim the culture.

It started with a little phrase, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." It will continue as speakers learn what caring for culture looks like in real life. And it will end? Never.

1 comments:

Hayley said...

I miss you a lot. And by "a lot" I mean A LOT.

Epic is a good way to describe the vision. I just get so excited when I think about the godly speakers God is preparing - we are on the verge of something very epic indeed!! God will be glorified through our generation.