February 28, 2009

CASC Captures Spirit of the Century

On February 27, the Coalition Against Self-Complimentation was formed. Its purpose is to counter the tendency of thoughtless self-promotion. In the founder's words, "We praise ourselves- I praise myself- far too much. CASC wants to change that." The signers to the CASC agreement have made a simple commitment to halt their self-complimentary statements in favor of a more God-focused approach to gifts. At first glance, this pact appears to disallow earnest appreciation of ourselves, but signers are quick to explain how enjoying what God has given and pridefully expressing their pleasure with themselves are two very different things. Their intent can be summarized by the words of Romans 12:3:

For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

A movement to counter an opposite trend, that of self-depreciation, is in the works. Signers to CASC plan to found ASSD, the Agreement to Stop Self-Depreciation, in the near future.

-Michael contributed to this article.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Three things...

1. Yay!
2. Who is the founder?
3. I think it would be amazing if we ("we" can be defined however you like) started a blog just for CASC and ASSD. What do ya'll think?

Art said...

The founder is yours truly. =)

What would we put on the said blog? Are you serious?

Kay said...

Thoughts and experiences we have about CASC and ASSM. Basically, the deal with those two "clubs" is the fact that it isn't about us. Whether we focus on our success or our failures, we're thinking about ourselves. Instead we should focus on God. I know I often let my successes or failures dictate who I am and determine my identity... and that's just wrong. I think it would be completely amazing if we had a blog dedicated to learning why God needs to be first and how we can do that better.

Yes!!!

P.S. this would also give us a chance to talk about the "special me" syndrome/complex/bubble

Kay said...

ASSD*

Colleen said...

I know I'm reading this kinda late but it sounds awesome! It sounds so much like a news article!! :)