February 5, 2009

Energy Trilemma

Right now, I'm in the middle of writing an essay on Frederic Bastiat's The Law, which I'd definitely encourage you to read, if you haven't already. I'm pouring (almost) all my creative energies into it. It makes me wonder: what is the best approach to the use of our energy?

A few things I do know. That "whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31) That we ought to work for the Lord. (Colossians 3:23-24) Also, that God gives us wisdom to make decisions. (Proverbs 2:6)

These are the choices I've identified:
  1. Invest all of our being into everything we do? (When I try to do that, and stay up late at night writing debate briefs, my mom says I'm too intense. Plus, I often get a cold. If we "focus" on everything, won't everything actually be out of focus?)
  2. Ration our strength? (But God will provide enough strength for us. He makes us live. We are only human beings who have no place deciding if we can accomplish something.)
  3. Focus on a few things? (Ah, but then the "less important" things in life won't be accomplished, such as *cough*school*cough*. It also means multitasking isn't such a great idea. It's very hard to determine which activities should be focused on.)
I know that I'm often unsuccessful at finding balance. But is balance what we want? Is there an ideal way to invest ourselves? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

"What is the best approach to the use of our energy? Is there an ideal way to invest ourselves?"

Hah, I feel as though this is an impossible question. I've always thought that we should do what we need to do, and if we have time leftover, do what we want to do . . . but how can one possibly tell what needs to be done versus what doesn't need to be done. That's where Proverbs 2:6 comes in, perhaps? I think our job is to work to the best of our abilities at whatever is given to us, but maintain perspective as to why we're doing it, so we don't throw ourselves off balance.

But that's a hard question. I'll have to think about it a little more.

M. Quigley said...

Haha, that's a question for the ages. And I think the answer is different from person to person.
I think that, of course, the answer is moderation. Nothing should be done to excess, or at great expense to your health, it's just not worth it!

I'm sure Hayley can attest that NaNoWriMo most certainly contradicts this idea of balance and moderation. And I'm still wondering if it's worth it, but I'll take the writers high over sleeping well for a month anyday! Definitely a relative question to the person, I would say.