July 27, 2009

Named

The light was painting her hair and the sun was warming her cheek as she knelt down in the grass to inspect the tickle on her toe. It was an ant that she found, and she carefully picked it up and rested it on her finger. A little distance away lay an ant hill. She stared in rapt attention at the goings-on there. Wonder filling her words, she whispered to the creature she held. "I'll name you Brilly, dear. Brilly-ant. Simply because you are."

She thought herself clever, but she laughed a little when she realized that she thought that. "But after all," she reasoned, "wasn't this ant brilliant? To build a city with bricks of dust and dirt. To be able to live in a world sustained by the castaways of my society." But reasoning with herself was a little difficult. Whatever happened, she always seemed to lose the argument.

In this particular self-scrimmage, the fact that every ant acted the same way made her worried. By her logic, every ant would be named Brilly. And then, she feared, the name would be a lie, for no one would stand out. Unless. Unless there was something especially wonderful about this one.

She turned to glance at her friend Brilly. She'd find a distinguishing feature, she was sure. But by now, the ant was gone. And because she hadn't found anything special about it, she couldn't in good conscience call this common ant Brilly-ant. The ant was nameless. No, she corrected herself, not nameless, but named simply "an ant." That was a name. Wasn't it glorious enough? This ant didn't need to be set apart, did it?

She wasn't satisfied. "There must be something I can name you," she argued to her memory of the ant. While this ant should have been forgotten amid the masses of ants in the world, she knew she did - and would - remember it. While every ant was like the others, she had only named one. And in a flash, she understood.

"You are Brilly-ant, simply because I found you. You are wonderful, because I have wondered in you."

5 comments:

Kay said...

Oh my goodness. I love this so much. It makes me think of so many hard-to-explain things at once.

For instance... love. We are supposed to love people not because they are special, but because they are. And, I wish I could earn love from others, but I can't.

Hayley said...

Very lovely. :)

""I'll name you Brilly, dear. Brilly-ant." SO HAPPY! Mm, that made me smile, leagues, yes it did.

"the fact that every ant acted the same way became her downfall. By her logic, every ant would be named Brilly. And then the name would be a lie, for no one would stand out." With this I disagree, but my contention is irrelevant with your genius closing. "You are wonderful, because I have wondered in you." truly quotable.

Art said...

:edited for clarity:

Which is to say, Hayley, I should have made it more clear that she was wrong about the name being a lie. Or...maybe not quite wrong, just not completely right, either.

And it makes me happy that you both like it! :)

Kaitlyn said...

I like this.

Like Kris (hehe, my fellow extrovert) said, "It makes me think of so many hard-to-explain things at once."

Very nice, dear. :)

Joanna said...

ditto ditto ditto. BRILLY!