July 6, 2009

"Souls aren't built of stone." (a.k.a. Overquoting 4:12)

"For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart."

I came across this verse, Ecclesiastes 5:20, yesterday, and was reminded of it again today.

It made me think of times when I've been depressed that life seems meaningless. All you do is wake and sleep, work and rest, live and die. In a purely material world, all you can do is survive- you can't live. When everything is meaningless, it doesn't matter that we're alive. Nothing matters.

It's kind of hard for me to wrap my mind around: are we trying to make our material existence more bearable? No, that's not it. Is the point of living simply to have happiness? No, not that either. Circumstantial happiness is vanity, and it passes...like everything material.

This verse refers to how fearing God gives us joy. It is possible for there to be something bigger than all this vanity, and for there to be something truly worth living for. Yes, we live and die in the same way, but when we fear God, it becomes meaningful!

Finding meaning makes me enjoy living. When something matters, everything matters. Having a purpose - remembering that souls aren't built of stone - gives me a reason to live in the material world.

1 comments:

Hayley said...

I had an awesome conversation with one of my friends yesterday, she was saying how she didn't know what God wanted her to do with her life, and she felt lazy because she wasn't really /accomplishing/ anything for Him . . . darned college/career conversations.

And it didn't even occur to me, but what you've said here applies so directly to what she was feeling, or what I felt for her, I guess, that regardless of our earthly circumstances, we have a greater meaning or purpose through fear of the Lord. Our souls are not limited and defined by the material world, there is some bigger purpose to live for whether we know what our calling in life is or not. And while fear of God does mean that we will seek to serve Him in any way possible, we can't put the horse before the carriage and let our lack of tangible meaningful existence take away our joy.

Also, this is the umpteenth time I've heard people talking about the fear of God during my time in NH - God is really cool.