September 15, 2009

Light: Part IV

“Benjamin.”

He was still behind a bush, but started at the Lady’s voice. “How do you know my name?”

“I know all things,” Lady Anne answered.

Ben was torn. He was drawn to this lady, yet this same lady struck terror into his heart. But how could he show himself? He quivered at the thought.

“I see you, Ben. Get up.”

There was no choice. If she knew everything, how could he hide? He prepared himself for scrutiny. His stomach churned, his breath was uneven. His pulse raced. How terrible it was to be laid bare, helpless, and unable to see the great Queen, yet seen fully by her. Well…not fully, if he could help it. As he stood, he hung his head low, as if a humble posture could halt the imminent disaster.

“Can you see me?” she asked.

“I cannot. I am blind!”

“Look up.”

Ben hesitated. It wouldn’t make a difference, really. But he couldn’t bear to show his self and his face.

“Benjamin,” Lady Anne said again. She was reassuring this time, but firm. “Why have you come?”

“Philip told me to come.”

“Is that really why you are here?”

Ben was confused. “I…I don’t know.” What was the truth? What could he say? “My Lady…” he started, and then the words rushed out faster. He was certain of what he was saying, but at the same time, he felt like he needed to defend himself. “When I first heard about you, I wanted to see you. I wanted to be near you. You sounded so alive, so noble, so wise. But Lady, I” –his breath halted- could he actually be saying this? “I am afraid. I am terrified of you. You are too great and glorious for me. I am only a foolish and blind man. Why, really, did I come? I think I love you. I don’t know if I know how to love you, but I want to. Oh, I want to see you.”

“I love those who love me, Benjamin. If you seek me earnestly, you will find me.” Benjamin could sense Lady Anne’s smile as she spoke. He felt calmed by it. Then his heart surged into his throat, and he lifted his head to face her.

“Lady! You are everything to me! They say your words utter only wisdom and I believe them. You, my Queen, are the Truth I blinded myself seeking. I desire you with all of my heart. Let me see!”

“Though you have not seen me, you have believed in me. Ah, Benjamin! You do see.”

The light from her eyes was reflecting in Ben’s upturned ones. He gazed harder. Then- he was able to make out the outline of her form! He saw her lovely face, her glorious smile, her eyes swimming with light. Ben’s eternity of darkness was ended, for, by the light of Lady Anne, all was illuminated.

There was no response but to cry out in exultation. “Oh, can’t you see what Truth has done?”

“Let this light shine before all,” Lady Anne encouraged. “Bring sight to those trapped in darkness as you once were.”

“I will, my Lady. I am your servant, and I devote my life to you. For I once was blind, but now I see.”

Then, overflowing with the light of the Lady, Ben set off to live.

The End

3 comments:

Hayley said...

"He was certain of what he was saying, but at the same time, he felt like he needed to defend himself." Hm, an interesting feeling. I'm mentally unpacking this one still.

"“Oh, can’t you see what Truth has done?”" :D

Micah E. said...

"Ben set off to live."

I like this.

Eunice said...

Good short story. The ending seemed a bit abrupt to me...or perhaps I didn't want it to end. Sigh