November 11, 2009

At the risk of being "shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods"...

I must say that writing is too easy, in a way. Not that writing well is easy. But with things like word wars and Write or Die, it's not hard to write words. My hands hurt, of course, from writing 600 words in eleven minutes, twice over. But I mean... I am more than half-way done with NaNoWriMo, and with quantity not a major issue, I'm starting to think about quality. Which... should be good, because I actually care about this novel and want to make it beautiful. But I am afraid I will start swinging to a position completely opposite of the one I have now: I'll start thinking that I should take time to craft every sentence, and plan out the plot carefully. I don't quite know what this will do to me, or my writing. But I feel like the excuse "but I have to write, I can't think if it's good or not" is dying away, and I don't think that bodes well for NaNoWriMo.

1 comments:

Micah E. said...

Maybe just cross the 50k mark as quickly as you can, and spend the remaining days in the month editing? Still counts as a Nano novel, but you won't sacrifice word count for quality.