August 11, 2010

Leadership

I am alone when I trust no one.
I wish to have spiritual leaders in my life, but I have hardly any idea of what that's supposed to look like: people I'm needy towards? People I can go to, asking for their advice? Or are they supposed to come to me? I think in most mentorships the one wanting to be mentored asks for guidance.

I am not alone, if my trust is in the Lord. And my parents become more and more an encouragement to me.
What about all the adults who could have led me, but whom I hardly feel close to? But there are some who've cared about me, and been role-models for me.

My sister is coming next week and I'm glad. But I was never meant to place my entire trust in people. Instead we are to bear one another's burdens, a mutual trusting, through reliance upon the provision, the grace, of God.

2 comments:

Michael said...

This is one of the things that I've felt I've missed out on because of not belonging to a certain church, at least not for very long. Though . . . perhaps it wouldn't be much different in most churches.

I feel like the leaders I have now are my parents, but . . . I know how you feel, sometimes I wish I had other mentors, people I could look to for solid advice. And sometimes I wish my friends could help me, and while sometimes they can . . . I must admit they aren't much older than me and probably not much wiser (though I'm certainly not wiser than they).

"But I was never meant to place my entire trust in people. Instead we are to bear one another's burdens, a mutual trusting, through reliance upon the provision, the grace, of God." And by trusting are you talking about trusting for advice, or leadership, or something else? (I think you mean something else . . . but I'm just trying to think of the post as a whole.)

Pensword said...

I feel the same way. I have adult leaders in my life that I am no close to. And I have friends with whom I am close but are not leaders in my life.

Agree with Michael's second paragraph. Although my parents are probably not my leaders right now. I listen to them, but I do not want to emulate them.

When one is a child, it is easy to find role models. When one grows older, and discovers the hidden sides to people, it seems as though, at least in my opinion, that role models are increasingly hard to find. (I feel like this is an entirely different topic altogether; perhaps I am misunderstanding your post?)