September 3, 2010

Goodness, I just saw years of my life flash past me. I sorted a year and a half of school papers: essays, agendas, tests, and then went through two solid years of NCFCA competition.

I decided to keep only the certificates (but I daresay I could throw out most of them) and particularly insightful or encouraging ballots. It was especially emotional for me to see the debate ballots, calling back to mind rounds that meant so much to me. I can still picture them with clarity, the rooms, the arguments, the people. I remember the judges least. Perhaps that goes to show something? Heh.

I've ... been taken through so much. I feel like my two years of Lincoln-Douglas competition changed me irrevocably, the first in my discovery of other people like me and the riches of ideas and values. The second, this past year, molded my soul and changed my perspective.

Debate feels so far away. I find it strange that I can be so busy without even adding in any time preparing for the next year's topic. And I think I'm going to miss having judges paying close attention as I give speeches on a given topic. In competition, I got to flex and flourish taking on a question or quote. Now my speeches need a ... deeper? purpose, to be valued by their relevance to their audience, instead of conformance to rules. Oh! Have I mentioned my community speaking ideas for this year? I have a rough cut of The Little Prince and a potential platform for Animal Farm: a Tea Party group. :D

I'm enjoying being part of the video project. The structure of the videos encourages me to develop a thought more fully than I would on this blog. Now I'm a little puzzled about what the purpose or audience of my blog is.

I wonder about who I am becoming. So much is changing, and where do I stand?

"O Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations..." 


There are still so many questions.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

"So much is changing, and where do I stand?"

A question I've been asking myself every single day this week.

Going through all my school and NCFCA stuff was truly heart-breaking for me. And I wasn't sure if I should be terrified or relieved that I'm not the same as I was just a few years ago.

"Changes, I've never been good with change" . . .

Daughter of the King said...

I adore the little prince. As a matter fact, I bought a new-used copy Wednesday. (Used books have ever so much more character!) If your speech happens to get recorded, please send a link my way.
~Renee

Pensword said...

Animal Farm at a Tea-Party group. hm.
I am rather cautious of the Tea-Party people. They tend to be a bit over the top. https://www.jointheteaparty.us/ but maybe that isn't a good example.

Also...a question purely for thought, how would presenting "Animal Farm" impact/change a Tea-Party group?

Art said...

Hmmm. Thanks for pointing that out, Faith.

The purpose wouldn't be to *change* the group, but to delight/entertain a group that would appreciate it.