September 7, 2010

human beings.

I'm rereading Socrates Meets Jesus, because I'm using it in the apologetics class I'm teaching. There's this thought about how "I AM" unites the particular and universal, as both a "someone" with a will, and universal being. Reading that made me think of how people are called human beings. (I kind of - but hardly at all- talked about this before.) If being is such an unchanging, constant, quality, than maybe our identity as beings is only because of the nature we have, as creatures made in God's image. I wonder how this relates to Christians taking on a new nature in receiving the Holy Spirit.

2 comments:

Michael said...

"I wonder how this relates to Christians taking on a new nature in receiving the Holy Spirit"

. . . In some sense couldn't you say they are really "old" natures? Or just . . . "natures". That our old natures in the flesh aren't "real", but a false absence of our nature as human beings. So taking on the "new self" in Christ is taking on the real self, restoring us to God's image.

Echoes in Ink said...

Natures... humanness.

Same? Similar?

Stones.

Love you, dearest.