October 3, 2010

This evening when we walked in our neighborhood I was worrying a lot about my future, vocation, education. Asking questions when no answer was what I was looking for, expecting to know everything.

"Can I pray with you?" my mom asked, stopping my train of thought. She'd been listening to everything, trying to help. And I didn't want to be treated like a problem to be solved, but she wasn't giving me pretend answers.

She thanked God for my walk with Him, affirmed how I needed to read His word, and listen, and follow. I was … convicted, and agreed. How I’d put myself on shaking sand, being hit when I’m not fully armed… And then she said I was hearing a lot of voices telling me I needed to be something, do something, make something out of myself. I’d been listening to my college mail more than listening to God, His promises. Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Of course the questions and the answers will be in discord when I’m not remembering my foundation. I was worried about where I was going; but the problem was where I’d begun.

My iTunes library was at “Daisy” by Switchfoot when I just opened it.

...Trust.

4 comments:

Michael said...

It's really scary to trust God when my whole life is what's at stake. Thanks for sharing.

Hayley said...

I have this problem, I have it regularly, oh thick-headed soul that I am, and, somehow there is always grace . . . [praise Him!]

Mm, Daisy.

Liz said...

[Matthew 6:33]

Thank you for sharing.

:)

Avery said...

This is so encouraging :) Thanks.